Friday, February 09, 2007

Sermon Notes: Kim & Darlene Unrau

Goleta Vineyard, Sunday Feb 4, 2007
Listening to the Voice of God


* Luke 6.46-49

Esp. vs 47: “Every one who comes to Me, and hears My words, and acts upon them, I will show you whom he is like… House built on rock that withstands the tempest that comes against it.

In the OT era, only 1 man, once/year (High Priest) allowed into presence of God.

Jesus – The New Covenant… dwelling among us, with us, in us!

Holy Spirit – I will move into you—you will be My temple…You will move into Me—into all

the Glory of Who God is. I will bring revelation, peace, re-creation, restoration…

* We have a problem with coming

We are too busy, guilty, unworthy, self reliant, afraid of scolding, rebuke, God’s displeasure.

* Rev 3.20 – Behold I stand at the door and knock…

He just wants to be with us… for us to invite Him in

We talk more than we listen (skit – Kim talking to Marty, i.e. God, on cell phones—one way).

1. Come

2. Listen

3. Do what He says

* Source of Fear: We listen to others more than Jesus.

Source of Rejection: We listen to others more than Jesus.

Our behavior = usually a response to lies.

We feel like the house that collapses when the storms hit.

When we hear – we try to obey in our own strength, and we can’t.

“Come!” = A free invitation we are created and empowered to respond to.

“Do/Obey” = The natural result of resting in His love.

* Mth 7.21-23 = Doing “good” in human effort…not responding to His voice by power of H.S.



* “Come to Me, hear My words of life, and you will have all you need to obey Me… and I will do anything for you…” is His heart toward us.



Questions to ask the Lord:

1. Why don’t I come?

2. What are you saying to me to change that?

(what lies do I believe that keep me from coming?)

3. What do You want to talk to me about?

4. What are You calling me to this month?

No comments: